Wednesday, January 23, 2013

When I Tried to Housetrain My Yorkie - Ugh!

When I first tried to housetrain my Yorkie, I thought it would be easy. Boy, was I wrong!  It was a process that continued for several months.  If I had had some basic training it would have helped alot.  But I figured that her bladder (Muffin) would eventually get the message. how to housetrain my yorkshire terrier

Muffin did learn to “go” or pee on her puppy pads, but I never could get her to be consistent.  Do you know why?  I was not consistent in my training with her.

The failure to housebreak my Yorkie was a combination of her tiny bladder and my short bouts of consistency.  Sometimes I was home when she needed to go, sometimes I wasn’t.

My best friend, Donna, however trained her Yorkie very successfully.  What was the difference? She took that baby out every couple of hours to the same spot every day for three months, and scolded her just a bit if she did not comply.  That is the best dog to this day and there are very few (if any) accidents.

But that is what it took…consistency and knowing her dog’s signs.  She learned to watch Molly for signs of when she needed to go to the bathroom.  Donna also knew that small dogs have small bladders so she set realistic expectations of her dog’s ability for to learn how to pee on command.

Larger dogs are MUCH easier to train than smaller dogs, but like Donna, I love both!

It’s just a matter of the right recipe to dog training!  A big dose of patience and time devoted for several months, or until they get it!

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment